Thursday, September 27, 2012

Definition for footed pajamas

Here's a separate article from the same site, wisegeek.com about footed
pajamas,in general:








Footed pajamas usually refer to one-piece pajamas that cover the whole body,
including the feet. These pajamas may also be called blanket sleepers, or Dr.
Dentons. They are common wear for infants and young children in cold weather,
but some manufacturers make footed pajamas for older children and adults. To
confuse matters, blanket sleepers can mean a one-piece garment with no feet that
resembles two blankets sewn together with sleeves. Newborns in cold weather may
wear this type of blanket sleeper.

Footed pajamas for infants are usually made of flame resistant polyester fleece.
Alternately, terrycloth footed pajamas are popular in slightly warmer weather.
Either type may be snapped or zipped. Fleece footed pajamas are more likely to
have front zippers starting in the center of the neck, which veer off to end at
one leg. Terrycloth footed pajamas are associated more often with snaps.

Zippers or snaps make access to diapers easier, and for older children, zippers
can be helpful for middle of the night bathroom trips. Some footed pajamas, like
old long underwear styles have a snapped back or snapped front at waist level,
which allows bathroom use without removing the whole garment. Two-piece footed
pajamas can make trips to the bathroom easier, and less shockingly cold, for
adults or for potty training children.

Vinyl fabric usually covers the feet bottoms of footed pajamas and prevents
slipping. This proves helpful for children learning to walk, and even for adults
who might take a misstep in the dark. Some complain that footed pajamas are too
hot on most nights, especially when made of fleece. To address this,
manufacturers of footed pajamas occasionally offer either detachable feet, or a
small slit through which you can slip your feet to avoid wearing the footed part
while sleeping.

For very young children, footed pajamas can help parents meet safety
recommendations regarding the use of heavy blankets that have been linked to
Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). Since footed pajamas are so warm, children
tend to require very little covering in addition to them. Heavier covers, like
comforters, are not recommended and may actually suffocate a newborn. Thus
parents often turn to footed pajamas or blanket sleepers in order to keep a baby
warm with little additional covering.

Adults and older children may enjoy the energy saving features of footed
pajamas. Since covering the feet does keep the body warmer, you can turn down
thermostats at night. Even in the morning, you may not need to run the heaters
as often because the total coverage of footed pajamas provides greater warmth.

Discuss this Article
Oceana
Post 7

I think that flannel footed pajamas are great for camping trips. My family goes
camping in the mountains in spring, and while it is warm enough during the day,
it gets frigid at night. We all wear these pajamas to stay toasty.

Flannel is just so soft, and it insulates well, too. My young son and daughter
love their footed pajamas, and I love the fact that I don't shiver too much if I
get up to go outside the tent to the restroom. I slip some fuzzy slippers with
hard soles on right over my pajamas, which are much warmer than socks.
OeKc05
Post 6

I have seen a lot of men's footed pajamas that zip from the neck to the legs. My
brother wears this kind, because he is very cold-natured and can't stand to
freeze in the winter.

His wife is the opposite. She keeps the house way too cold for his blood, so he
compensates for this by wearing the warmest type of pajamas you can buy.

It's pretty funny to see a grown man walking around the house in a full pajama
suit, because he used to wear this kind of pajamas as a kid, too. He just looks
like a grown boy with them on.
Perdido
Post 5

@shell4life - I own a pair of ladies footed pajamas, but I rarely wear them
because I do have to go to the bathroom a couple of times during the night. I
think that footed pajamas are best reserved for babies because of this.

Of course, I might feel differently if I had the two-piece kind or the kind that
snaps at the waist. Mine have to be fully removed in order for me to sit on the
toilet, and I hate being suddenly cold when I have been warm for hours.

I only keep them because they were a gift from my grandmother. Also, I only wear
them once a year when she comes to visit.
Related Topics
Footed Pajamas
Mens Footed Pajamas
Footed Pajamas Women
Cotton Footed Pajamas
Fleece Footed Pajamas
shell4life
Post 4

My mother still has the pair of cotton footed pajamas that I wore as a baby. I
have seen photos of myself in them, and they looked very cozy.

They were mint green and very soft. They had square snaps, which you don't see a
lot these days.

For adults, I'm sure that inconvenience with going to the bathroom would be an
issue in footed pajamas, but for a baby, it is no problem. They just do their
thing and wait to be changed, so it doesn't matter if they are trapped inside
their outfits!
ElizaBennett
Post 3

I like one-piece jammies for my little ones, too. I use cloth diapers, and the
overnight kind are so bulky that it is hard to fit pants over them at all!

And many cloth diapers are velcro, which are even easier to remove than
disposable diapers. But to get around that problem - especially during nap time,
when baby is not wearing pajamas - I always made sure to keep around some cloth
diaper covers that used snaps instead of velcro. Much harder for baby to get
off!


I really like to use toddler footed pajamas right up until potty training, at
least in the winter. (In the summer, they just sleep in onesies.)

The main thing is for them to be one-piece and difficult-to-impossible for the
child to remove by him- or herself. Once they get to be about ten months old,
some of them start learning that they can take off their diaper! *Not* something
you want them to do in the middle of the night. But if they are wearing
one-piece pajamas, they can't get ahold of it to open it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment